Do I need a chicken crossing sign or what?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 100AcreFarm, Apr 18, 2011.

1. 100AcreFarm

100AcreFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Ok, I know people say there's no such thing as a stupid question but I'm positive this one falls solidly in the stupid question category...

Is there any way to teach my pea-brained ladies to NOT cross the road? There's nothing good on the other side! They have 4 acres to roam with grass, bugs, water, treats, a cozy coop. Why do they think the pickin's are better across the road? There's a good amount of traffic and I'm surprised I haven't lost any chickens yet! Across the road is the border of 100,000 acres of state forest land. If they had any idea what all lives over there and how low they are on the chain they'd never leave the coop!

The dog has a remote fence and a shock collar and I'm thinking of things that would curl their butt fluff!

2. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    I'm in the same boat. Five luxurious acres with all the perks, and everytime I let them out they march right over to the neighbors yard. I think a fence is probably the only solution. The neighbor said he didn't care, but he just planted his vegetable garden and I don't want to push it.

3. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    The chickens here mostly stay in the yard. However, the guineas love to go sit in the road. It's a game I swear to get people to stop, get out, look at them, then scream and fly home.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    There are tons of creepy-crawlies under the leaves in that forest, just because the grass isn't greener doesn't mean the bugs aren't! [​IMG]

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:My brothers guinea has started a neighborhood war before because some teenagers sped past him while he was in the road and all my brothers neighbors put signs up to slow down and watch for the guineas. Then this lady sends my brother a note saying it is cruel to let birds free range and he should put it in a cage. BIG mess for a couple weeks.LOL

6. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    Quote:My brothers guinea has started a neighborhood war before because some teenagers sped past him while he was in the road and all my brothers neighbors put signs up to slow down and watch for the guineas. Then this lady sends my brother a note saying it is cruel to let birds free range and he should put it in a cage. BIG mess for a couple weeks.LOL

99% of the time people say it's cruel to cage them! lol

7. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD

99% of the time people say it's cruel to cage them! lol

I used to have that problem my chickens always went to my neighbors but when my neighbors went out all the time and started renovating there house (loud noises I guess) They stopped going over there no idea why??????

8. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    We are on a very rural road, so limited traffic. Plus very hilly and some pretty sharp curves, so people normally go along at the speed limit. So they come up on the Goonies going per-QUAT per-QUAT per-QUAT in the road. They stop and are going what the heck are those things???? Honk, they don't move, but the chickens zip back to the yard. People open car/truck door, guineas are per-QUATing away. Walk towards them EEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPP monster, DANGER DANGER DANGER scream and they fly off. Goofs.

We've had one hit in the road. However, he was the dumbest of the flock. He also was sitting in a shadowed area at dusk and NOT making noise. The driver was horrified they'd killed him, brought him up to the door wrapped up in a blanket and was ready to pay any amount of money for killing him. We never blamed them, this bird was stupid even to guinea standards. He was going to get killed either from the road sitting or by a predator.

Now, that family has guineas because they liked ours so much once they met the "normal" guineas.

9. 100AcreFarm

100AcreFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Guineas sound sort of like fun! My husband says the chickens are cheaper than therapy!

10. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:Chickens are wonderful! End of story!

Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by