do i need a fan?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheDuckCrew, Mar 29, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    I'm building my own bator, and we were able to get everything today except the fan. we couldn't find one small enough to fit in the cooler. is it totally necessary to have a fan? we are thinking about asking a local computer guy for the large fan from one of his dead computers, but we don't know how to connect it to a power source. the light is at the top of the cooler and obviously the eggs will be at the bottom. any ideas on what to do?

2. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    also, my dad wants to build a wooden box and use that instead of our styrophoam cooler because he is afraid the light will catch the cooler on fire. any advice on that?

3. hobbieorb

hobbieorb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    wythe, Virginia
    Your local Radio Shack sells computer fans and they have one that is around 3-3.5" and 3/8 in thick and work good. you have to find a transformer( old charger for spot light etc).I would put a fan in it.

4. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:thanks. but where would i get a transformer? i may just be better off asking the computer guy! he owns a small local shop and is SOOO nice and so smart!! he sold me the laptop i'm on right now and gave me so many deals on it. i was confused about hooking up the wireless internet so i called him and he talked me through it. he even offered to come out if i couldn't get it working. he's so nice!!! probably would be better asking him on tuesday, he's closed tomorrow.

5. hobbieorb

hobbieorb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    wythe, Virginia
    If you find an old chager laying around, anything that is cordless, and where you plug it in the wall, look on the back and it will say something like ac to dc, then you got it. Hook up the wires, usually one wire has a stripe and the other is a solid wire, hook the striped wire to the red fan wire, and solid to solid. The fan at RS is $10.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by