do i need a heat lamp for the winter?

Ruby Mia

Songster
6 Years
Feb 6, 2013
England
i have 10 chickens in a big coop which they only take up half the space of and im worried that they will be too cold for the winter. three of them sleep up th top which leaves even more room down the bottom. do i need a heat lamp or is it not needed?

In Canada I am subject to -40º cold snaps. I do NOT heat my coop. Murphy's law says my birds will find out what -40 is all about when my hydro goes out. Regardless what you decide feed extra Corn over the winter you will not be sorry.

Or something like this may help also; You could even knit a hoodie for those extra cold days..

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the advise!
smile.png

In Canada I am subject to -40º cold snaps. I do NOT heat my coop. Murphy's law says my birds will find out what -40 is all about when my hydro goes out. Regardless what you decide feed extra Corn over the winter you will not be sorry.

Or something like this may help also; You could even knit a hoodie for those extra cold days..

They also need a good pair of snow boots!

You do not need to heat your coop. Chickens can survive extreme temps as long as the coop is draft free. I suggest you do not heat your coop because when things like ice storms hit, The temperature is freezing and there probably won't be any power for a heat lamp. We do not heat our coop because we want to have hardy birds. Also, if it is very cold where you live, try to get a more cold hardy breed. I hope this helps.

@ MyPetNugget

Do not get me wrong I agree with your statements and I practice what you preach shall we say (I just get cold snaps lasting a few days or so). However climate similar to Saskatchewan Canada where the average daily winter temperature is -22º C lately has made me question my own beliefs.

I know if I was raising birds in Saskatchewan and I noticed my flock in distress due to cold I would not hesitate to provide them with heat. One has to take a daily inventory on ones birds to gauge their over all health and well being. One has to pay due dilligence when you are responsible for your flock.

I consider myself somewhat of an expert in my own area. That being said you can not be closed minded to others who are dealing with different challenges.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom