Do I need a heat lamp in the coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kmwright, Dec 2, 2010.

1. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    It's been really cold here lately (well, California cold=35 degrees at night) and my heat lamp keeps going out on me. I think there is a faulty switch or something, anyway.

Do I need a heat lamp for them? They are in a covered coop and they seem to be fine but I don't want them to freeze at night!!

Thank you!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    No. You do not need a heat lamp. Find the thread titled "Think it's too cold for your chickens..." It was started by someone living in Alaska with sub 0 temperatures.

Heat lamps can cause fires, keep your birds from becoming acclimated to cold and increase humidity in the coop. Your birds will be just fine. They are wearing down jackets.

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    They shouldn't need a heat lamp at that temperature. Chickens are surprisingly tough animals. [​IMG] Just keep an eye on them and try to repair the heat lamp if they start being sleepy and sluggish all day long.

4. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Are they babies?

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
  6. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    naww yuo don't need one [​IMG] My chickens are in a chainlink kennel, with no coop, and no heat. Never have I had any problems with them freezing.

7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    as long as they have all thier feathers they will be fine. The heat lamp is more likely to cause harm as they get used to the heat so if it does go out they are not used to the cooler temp. Let them ajust to the outside temp they will be fine.

8. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I read a thread either last night or this morning about someone getting a snow storm recently and their power went out. They lost all/or most of their chickens because they did not get acclimated to the cold.

9. cedermeeavey

cedermeeavey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    Redbud
    Quote:So I live in NH where the mid-winter low temps will on occasion go below -10F but usually stay above 0. I have a trap door on the floor of the coop for them to exit to the run. I've been closing this at night to keep them warmer and keep the wind off them. Should I just be leaving this open at night? So far low temps haven't gone below 20F but we'll be in the teens at night soon.

This is my first winter with chickens and so far I'm impressed with their hardiness. By the way, I have 6, five month old Speckled Sussex.

10. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Close the trap door at night not only to prevent drafts, but to keep predators out. Even inside the city limits, you'd be surprised at the number of racoons. They aren't going to leave their coop in the night time anyway.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by