Do I Need A Heating Lamp In My Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lady Watcher, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Lady Watcher

Lady Watcher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2016
    I live in Texas, and it's supposed to be 30-40°F tonight. I don't think my hens need a heating lamp, but I was just wondering. (I have 2 Leghorns, 2 RIR, 1 australorp, and one dominique)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Not for those breeds.
    It has hit -19 here with no added heat. If you had Mediterranean and other large combed and wattle breeds you wouldn't even need heat at those temps.

3. Lady Watcher

Dec 18, 2016
    Thank you Very much

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Keep in mind that chickens ancestors (red jungle fowl) are adaptable to a wide range of climates and their descendants, the breeds most of us raise, were developed in cold climates without heat lamps.
    They don't go to bed wearing pajamas, they wear their warm down coats around the clock.

5. Lady Watcher

Dec 18, 2016
    Is it possibly bad to use one anyways? I'm not going to use it again, but I did last night.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Just don't bother to use it again, and they will be fine. Mary

7. Lady Watcher

Dec 18, 2016
    Thank you!

8. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    There are 2 main issues with heat lamps. #1 is the fire hazard. Heat lamps can be a fire waiting to happen, especially in coops and sheds that are not built to strict standards. #2 is if the birds get used to warmer temps from the lamp, if you have a power outage and cannot use the lamp, all of a sudden they will have to deal with cold temps without any acclimation period. The only birds that need a heat lamp are chicks.

As others have said, they will be fine in much colder temps than you are talking about. Make sure the coop is draft free, and has adequate ventilation that does not blow on the chickens. A sealed coop will get damp in cold weather. I live in CT, and we hang out round 10-20 degrees at night, sometimes going to 0 or below. I have two windows in my coop, and one facing west is always 6" open, and the other faces est and ranges from 1" to 6" depending on the weather and how much ventilation I need. I base my decision on how much frost is on the inside windows on the doors. More frost means I need more ventilation. Clear windows means I can close one window a bit.

Stay warm!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by