Do I need a light in my coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bkate, Sep 14, 2009.

1. bkate

bkate Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2009
    Is it a necessity to have a light in my coop?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Nope but if it's a walk to the henhouse it makes it easier to gather eggs in the evenings. I use to carry a flashlight til I put a heavy duty electrical cord in to hold the light fixture. Also sometimes people set ilights on a timer in the mornings for winter laying so you get more eggs. I don't do that I let them have a winter rest as needed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  3. congohelium

congohelium Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    Monroe, WA
    Your chickens will lay more consistently in winter if they have about 14 hours of light.

4. wcwashburn

wcwashburn New Egg

Sep 14, 2009
    Oak Hill
    its also nice if you have to investigate a disturbance at night
    I HATE POSSUMS:mad:

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have never put lights in my coops for the chickens but I do have the little solar lights attached so if I have to go out there at night I can see a bit without running my shin into something.
    My chickens lay all winter without lights but it is only about 50 every day here in the winter.

6. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    i have a light set on a timer, it goes off at dusk and stays on for 4 hours, i also have a out door flood light hocked to it so my flock can stay out longer.

7. bkate

bkate Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks everyone!

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I would not be without an interior light. Better for egg-gathering and good to have power in coop for fan on hot days. Also good for when cleaning just to look around real good to see if anything amiss. I have a large coop, at 8 x 16. It has two overhead double flourescent lights, and a fixture is ready for a ceiling fan in the center of the gable space overhead, directly under the roof turbine vent. Best to keep it on in hot weather in reverse, and helps exhaust fumes that can hurt lungs of birds. My henhouse does not stink and we have 24 birds. So my ventilation has accomplished something. I am also doing some floodlights in run in case of predators/investigation of noises, etc.

9. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    There is no electricity in my coop so I'd have to say no! I can grab a flashlight on my way out there, if need be! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's the way it is around here too. We have an overabundance of flashlights in this house.
    ETA: I do have electricity running to the coop, to power fans in the summertime. I don't add light in winter for the same reason Tuffoldhen stated.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by