1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do i need a male for eggs??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by martelled, Mar 29, 2016.

1. martelled

martelled New Egg

Aug 29, 2015
    Chicago il
    I been reading about you don't need male for eggs..
    I want to see if my Japanese quail would lay eggs whit out eggs.today they are 40 days old...
    Someone might help

2. murphyfarm

murphyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2016
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    no you do not need a male to to get eggs!!

3. Em Ty

Em Ty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    They might not start laying for another week or so. Make sure they're getting at least 12 hours of light a day, which they should be in your location now.

4. martelled

martelled New Egg

Aug 29, 2015
    Chicago il
    So will they lay same amount of eggs ..I already have 2 cages whit adult quails and even cold winter days in Illinois I would get my eggs everyday

5. Em Ty

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    They will usually lay an egg a day, but might miss a day every couple of weeks. If they get stressed, they're quite prone to stop laying for a week or three. When I moved my hens last it took them 3 weeks to start laying again.

6. martelled

martelled New Egg

Aug 29, 2015
    Chicago il
    Thanks for the help .now last question do you think chicken might disturbed them .they been growing together ..since bbies ..chickens still young

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You don't need a male to get eggs,but you do need a male if you are planning on hatching eggs.
    In N.H.,Tony.

8. Em Ty

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    Some people raise their quail with chickens with no issues and some have had infection issues in their quail from chickens. There are a few posts here about raising quail with chickens, so look them up and decide what you're comfortable with.

I have both and, though I have my quail closer than I'd like to the chickens, they're separated and I visit the quail first and wash well after going near the chickens.

9. Quailen

Quailen Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2016
    yea I would not recommend having them penned together. They get along fine...it's just that chickens are bit hardier to some of the nasties since they are domesticated and the quails will easily get ill, infections etc. from chicken poop. Or can try but give them alot of room. I've had chukars, quails with chickens but was just a headache since they kept getting infections from contaminated water/feed/chicken poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by