do i need a roof over my chicken pen????? javascript:insert_text(':c

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Monkie_777, May 23, 2010.

1. Monkie_777

Monkie_777 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    I am new to chickens and the only question that I can't seem to find an answer to is, do i need a roof over my chicken pen? javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Are you talking about your run area??? If so, it's nice to have an actual metal roof on the run, but not necessary if they have access to housing. It's much safer to at least run a wire roof though, to keep climbing or flying predators at bay.

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I'm new, too, and found that most runs have at least a wire roof over them. Depending on where you live, Hawks and other birds of prey can be a big threat to the chickens.

4. Monkie_777

Monkie_777 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    yes i was talking about the run. thank you

5. illegal avian

illegal avian Cooped up

Apr 21, 2010
    Third World, Texas
    Go ahead and roof everything... chickens are people too!

6. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    My run has a complete mesh roof, but no solid roof. The hens have access to the coop if they need to get out of the weather, and a little covered sandbox in the run if they just want a bit of shade.

7. Ozark Chicken

Ozark Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    We have a large coop, then a 6' fenced run with wire roof that is left open most of the time so they can free range. Its funny sometimes if a hawk is about they all run into the fenced in part (or into the woods) It's like they know they have a wire mesh roof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by