do i need a roof over my chicken pen????? javascript:insert_text(':c

Monkie_777

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 23, 2010
I am new to chickens and the only question that I can't seem to find an answer to is, do i need a roof over my chicken pen? javascript:insert_text('
hu.gif
',%20'');

Are you talking about your run area??? If so, it's nice to have an actual metal roof on the run, but not necessary if they have access to housing. It's much safer to at least run a wire roof though, to keep climbing or flying predators at bay.

I'm new, too, and found that most runs have at least a wire roof over them. Depending on where you live, Hawks and other birds of prey can be a big threat to the chickens.

My run has a complete mesh roof, but no solid roof. The hens have access to the coop if they need to get out of the weather, and a little covered sandbox in the run if they just want a bit of shade.

We have a large coop, then a 6' fenced run with wire roof that is left open most of the time so they can free range. Its funny sometimes if a hawk is about they all run into the fenced in part (or into the woods) It's like they know they have a wire mesh roof.

Back
Top Bottom