Do I need a Rooster? Bantam less aggressive with kids?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chantald, Sep 1, 2008.

1. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a beautiful, nearly 20 week old Australorp rooster that I have raised from a chick. He has quite the personality and is charming.. however over the last two days he has become quite aggressive towards my children. Even when they are not near him, but playing in the yard, he will approach them and has tried to peck my middle child.
    They are scared to death of him and I am not a happy chicken mom..

First, do I need a rooster or can I find this one a good home?

If I do need a rooster, would a Bantam rooster be "just as good" at protecting the hens but not able to hurt my kids.

Thanks

2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    You don't need a rooster so long as you don't want babies. i keep 1 because he keeps the hens in a nice group. I get rid of the mean 1s.

(eta i forgot the 2nd question) Banty roos can be just as mean and just as aggressive. If your kids are really young i don't recommend a roo at all. All roos can jump and potentially get you in the eye.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  3. chantald

I think I would classify his recent behavior as mean.. wouldn't you?

I think it is natural rooster behavior, I don't fault him for it.. but i can't run the risk of him hurting my kids.. and I have a 1 year old, 4 year old and a 7 year old

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I recommend he finds a new home. Your kids are really young and i know its a big deal when little ones get infections. I consider jumping and scratching mean. I'm not sure what other forms of attack a rooster comes with. [​IMG]

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Don't think a bantam isn't mean or can't do any harm! Kip, my bantam cochin roo, can not be trusted and for that reason, he and his ladies are not allowed to free range. On the other hand, my standard sized barnyard mix (aka. strange looking mutt rooster) is a great roo and lets kids pick him up and love him.

6. chantald

Thanks, I just listed him Free to a good home on our local Craigslist..

My son (7) turned his back on him not 10 min ago and the rooster rushed him.. My husband is very angry...

Not sure why he turned out this way.. At least the neighbors will be happy.. no more early morning wake up call [​IMG]

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:He is just trying to protect what is his, doesnt make it right, and as a owner you have to protect what is yours,(kids), its just the way some turn out, I had 2 buckeyes roos, that were raised from chicks together one decided that spurring my son(13 so he can protect himself just fine) was a good Idea, he was wrong, and went in the stew pot the next week. The other has never attempted to spur anyone, maybe he learned or its just not in him, either way he is still with us.

sorry you have to get rid of him, but your doing the right thing.

8. chantald

Thanks.. I'm still a little sad.. He was quite the character..

I hope that I can find him a good home.. where he can rule his roost..

9. HR Patterson

HR Patterson Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Gravity, PA
    Maybe your children just taste good. [​IMG] All of our hens and roos peck at us at some point. But if it looks mean then it probably is mean. And our banty Cochin is more aggressive than others of our full size roos. Our more mature roo has calmed down in the last few months. We had considered getting rid of him last year when he was the winner in a death match cock fight we were too late too stop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by