do i need a rooster???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by whitehousechix, May 2, 2011.

1. whitehousechix

whitehousechix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Oregon
    so I just bought a dozen pullets and made an awesome coop and run do I need a rooster?? I have no interest in breeding, just want some eggs and entertainment

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    You don't need a rooster, you'll get beautiful eggs regardless!

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No and yes.

To me, "entertainment" REQUIRES a rooster. Even if it is just a bantam, when you've got full sized hens. Bantam roosters are just the funniest! [​IMG]

Otherwise no, their main uses are for breeding, flock protection/watch, and some other opinionated uses. (show, flock balance, etc)

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You only "need" a rooster if you want to hatch eggs. That being said there is a lot to be gained from having a good rooster in the flock. The problem lies in the fact that not all roosters are good, and the pain in the butt roosters can take a lot of the fun out of keeping chickens.

5. whitehousechix

whitehousechix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Oregon
    that is exactly what I wanted to hear thanks, I LOVE this site you all are remarkable

6. Snegurochka

Snegurochka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Having a rooster adds another level of difficulty to chicken keeping. I would stick with the hens for a while until you get the hang of things. I really regretted buying my rooster at first, when he pecked all my beautiful hens bald, and crowed at 3 a.m. But nowadays it's fun to watch him jump up to take chickweed from me and feed it to the hens. In short, it's fun to have a rooster but there are many things I miss from my all-girls flock.

7. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:x2

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I won't have a flock without a rooster. Sure, PITA ones can be a downer, but good roos are worth their weight in gold.

9. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    yes you need a rooster... cause they are so perdy [​IMG]

but seriously no you dont...

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:But they are more than just purdy. I swear my rooster told one of my hens to go get her chicks when she left them outside tonight. He clucked at her and she turned right around and went out the door to retrieve the babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by