Do I Need A SADDLE????? Or A Few???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ksct, Dec 21, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    I Don't Know If This Goes Here...... I Don't Know Where It Should Go....
    I Have A Hen, Who Seems To Be My Roo's Favorite...... Her Beautiful Tan Feathers Are Slowly Coming Up Missing..... From Well.... Ya Know [​IMG]
    My Question Is Do I Wait For More To Be Gone Or Should I Get A Chicken Apron/Saddle? I've Seen Hens That Have Raw Red Featherless Backs..... I Don't Want That For Mine. Makes Me Sad To See It. If I Get An Apron/saddle, Do You Leave It On All The Time? Might Be Nice For Her Now That's It's Getting Colder.
    I Really Never Thought I'd Have To Worry About It (wishful Thinking I Guess) But I'd Like To Make Sure She's Okay. Not To Mention, That Part Of Her Would Be Extra Cold With No Feathers.

And If The Verdict Is I Should Get An Apron/saddle...... Can Someone Tell Me Where To Get Some? I Did A Search On Here For Aprons And Everything But Aprons Came Up.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I would.

They're rarely called aprons here -- "saddles" or "jackets" might get you better results. At the moment I can't find the design I used. It's really simple, and doesn't require any sewing, you can just cut it out of scrap fabric.

3. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    does anyone else know where i can get some saddles/jackets/aprons?
    thanks!

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:ams3651, on here sells them. Tell her I sent you.

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

MagsRags makes them too. Really nice and cheap too! I credit her saddle with saving my Ninja Chicken's life. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by