Do I need a solid floor in the coop or can I use hard ware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kirt, Jan 25, 2014.

1. kirt

kirt New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    I will be building my first chicken tractor and getting 10 hens. My tractor will be 16'X8' the coop part will be 6'x8' the coop will be 2 feet off the ground. I live in south Louisiana doesn't get very cold here.
    My question is do I need a solid floor with shavings that will need to be cleaned out or can I use hard ware cloth or something similar that would allow the droppings to fall through. I will be moving the tractor around the yard as needed to avoid build up.

2. kimmommy23

kimmommy23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    New Hampshire
    I would suggest that you do not use any kind of wire for the flooring as it can damage the chickens' feet. I would probably leave the run portion without any flooring at all and the coop portion painted wood or something else that can be easily cleaned.

3. kirt

kirt New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Thanks. the run will be just bare grass.

4. newchicks5

newchicks5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    wi
    till they eat all the grass or dig it up ,but they love it.

1 person likes this.
  5. kimmommy23

kimmommy23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    New Hampshire
    I also bet you would find the droppings would get stuck in the wire and would be nearly impossible to clean out over time.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wire floor might work....I remember a couple of threads that showed success with it.
    Can't remember what size worked tho. Poops can get pretty big with mature large fowl birds and wire is hard to clean.

Try browsing thru these threads, maybe you can find it.
    advanced search>titles only> wire floor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by