Do I need a third duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jannakaye, Dec 12, 2014.

1. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    My female muscovy is getting her feathers plucked! The drake is a pekin/runner and they are about the same size, but he's pulling the feathers on her neck out! Do I need another female or is this normal? (I've only had females until Nibbles so this is kinda new for me.)

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yes, I think it'd help her out alot if your drake had a couple more females. A good ratio for ducks is one drake to three females, but even ONE more female would certainly help. :)

3. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    Yep, she is most likely being overbred. Another female or two will spread his interests out.

4. LovelyWinter

LovelyWinter New Egg

Oct 25, 2014
    Texas
    Yes definitely.I have one mallard drake with 4 girls.He seems very relaxed.At least get another one.

5. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    Poor Quacks! I'll defiantly try to find another female or two for the flock. Thanks!

6. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chillin' With My Peeps

More females will probably help. Just incase he decides he still likes her the best, you can get "saddles" - generally made for chickens but fit on ducks too- that will help keep her from getting hurt. At one time we had a good ratio 3 drakes to 14 ducks and they still had their favorites and ended up causing big open tears on the ducks backs.

7. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    Yes get more hens.
    I had 2 drake and 5 hens this past year and one of my poor girls got all beat up by the boys!!
    So I rehomed a drake and kept some hens I had hatch out this spring.
    Now with 1 drake and 9 hens I hope the "love" gets spread around more this next spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by