1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need both incubator and hatcher?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ADuckOnQuack, Jan 15, 2017.

1. ADuckOnQuack

ADuckOnQuack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    England
    I plan on buying the OvaEasy 190 Brinsea Incubator, it has 3 trays and a hatcher at the bottom. For the first 21 days of incubating pheasant eggs the temp and humidity needs to be 37.5.c and 80%. And the last 3 days in the hatcher need to be 37.c and 50% humidity.
    Because the hatcher and the incubator and together does it matter that the temp and humidity is consistently at 37.5 and 80%.... if I lower the humidity down when the hatcher is full, will it have much affect on the eggs still being incubated? Will I need to buy a incubator and hatcher seperatly? Or can I get away with success hatch percentage without altering the settings? Thanks!

2. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    You should be fine as long as the eggs are scheduled to hatch at the same time. Only thing is you have the humidity levels reversed...should be around 50% for the 1st 21 days, then at lock down, humidity should be raised to 70 to 80%.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I've ad much better hatching leaving the eggs right in the turners and not using the hatch tray at all.I don't change the humidity either.If they develop and grow in the egg they should hatch fine with the same humidity.But remember the humidity goes up when they start to hatch as the chicks are drying off.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    Yeah just read it back i got the 80% and 50% the wrong way round! Thanks both!

5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    50% is high around here, but it may work for you. I would suggest candling the eggs several times to monitor air cells and moisture loss. If the air cells aren't growing enough, then decrease the humidity.

And I "think" the main point of the hatching area is easier to clean up. You don't have to use it, but it's probably easier. (hatching chicks are messy!)

6. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Making one yourself is by far cheaper if your handy.

7. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England

Give me instructions and I might be able to bodge something up[​IMG]

8. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Look at incubator designs and take little parts from every incubator. Make something up, I did came up with heating errors at the end but I ended up fixing mine and now its at 100 degrees all the time :D
    can hatch 480 quail eggs and around 200 chicken eggs if i wanted it too.( Or if I can ever fill it

9. lingle97

lingle97 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2016
    Monticello Florida
    I hatched red goldens out last year in the brinsea octogon 20. Did the whole thing from start to finish. I had a 90% hatch rate this way. With this i wouldnt dream of adding another piece of equipment and more complication to the process.

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

I have 2 Octagon 20s and highly agree, but if I wanted a cabinet, I would consider making one. I also have a Styrofoam one that I have used as a hatcher for staggered sets.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by