do I need decoy eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RaisingtheBars, Aug 17, 2013.

1. RaisingtheBars

RaisingtheBars Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    Hi all! Here's my first BYC post and today marks one week of owning four hens who have just begun to lay. I'm getting about one egg every other day, usually laid properly in a nesting box. Is the use of a decoy egg recommended for greater production? I don't want to encourage broodiness.

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!!

In my experience, the decoy egg has little to do with production or broodiness and everything about reminding young pullets where to lay. I use them constantly as I always have new pullets coming in, but if your pullets already know where to lay their eggs, I wouldn't use fake eggs.

3. RaisingtheBars

RaisingtheBars Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks for your advice on the decoy eggs. Unless I find more out of place I'll forego using any. Suppose three eggs from four pullets in their first week at their new home is pretty good anyway!

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Welcome to BYC and Chickens! yay! I agree. You do not need them unless you are having problem with her hens not laying where you want them to. I had a decoy egg when I first started and my hens just kept moving out of the nest! They did not seem to want it with their real eggs.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by