Do I need extra light in the Winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by haddiemoo, Nov 3, 2010.

1. haddiemoo

haddiemoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    I have three pet hens in a nice coop with a run attached. The inside of this coop is pretty dark because of the roof of the coop. The sun comes up good here around 7:30 or 8:00 am and goes down by 6:30 or so. The hens are laying 1-2 eggs a day but I really do not have them for eggs. The are mainly pets and we receive the benefits of the eggs. That being said, do I need any artificial light?

2. forstadt

forstadt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Providence, Rhode Island
    Hi! You certainly do not need artificial light. After all, people have been raising chickens for thousands of years without it. The only reason for artificial light is to extend their egg laying throughout the winter. Some people use heat lamps if they live in very cold climates, but unless you live in continental Canada (or worse) or have breeds that are not hardy, this is also not necessary in most cases.

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    The choice is up to you. Some folks do and some don't. I only use a light so the hens don't "drop" and egg because of it being to dark in the morning to get off the roost and go into the nest box.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Some people use the artificial light to help increase egg production but if you are getting 1-2 eggs a day from 3 hens, I think your girls are producing fine. Give em a break and let them enjoy the extra hours of sleep.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Nope...don't worry about it if you're fine with whatever they give you egg-wise [​IMG]

6. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I have six pullets and do not plan to add any extra light. I think they can do their own natural thing.

7. haddiemoo

haddiemoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Thanks for the replies everybody. I am very, very new to the chicken game and I want to keep them as comfortable as possible. I do not know what I would do without this forum. Thanks again, I will just let them get a few hours extra sleep (might just skip work and crawl in there myself some morning)

8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Sounds like a great plan! Oh and [​IMG] !!! Glad to have another addict join the family!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by