do I need food grade diamatious (sp?) earth or the pool kind...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SuburbanSue, Jul 17, 2011.

1. SuburbanSue

SuburbanSue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Emerson, New Jersey
    if its the food grade, any suggestions where to find it? i would like to hav it for the run. I live in a suburban area. Any suggestions wouldd be appreciated.

2. msbee

msbee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    MN
    food grade, definitely food grade. NO pool stuff. [​IMG]

3. msbee

msbee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    MN
  4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:NOOOoooooo Pool DE! [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:NOOOoooooo Pool DE! [​IMG]

Thats right. [​IMG]

6. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    Pool grade DE is chemically treated/infused to kill the parasites and micro-organisms that accumulate in pools, and it's super heated to change the nature of the crystals.

DEFINITELY only food grade for your critters...

I got mine at an agriculture supply warehouse, but I'm also surrounded by orchards and vineyards. It's available thru a lot of places online (Amazon for one) but shipping can get spendy. Depending on where you are, it may be worth a bit of a drive. [​IMG]

Just for reference, I paid $25 for 50lbs, but I'm in a kind of expensive state. I've seen lots of posts here that get it a bit cheaper....

Good Luck!

7. whiterose

whiterose New Egg

May 28, 2009
    Orshelns sells "Dry Stall," mostly DE, for horses and other farm animals. I have been using it for many months now and love it. Not only is it dry, the odor is reduced by 95%, really amazing stuff, about 15 bucks for a bag and it lasts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by