Do I need more light in the coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bbecca, Oct 25, 2016.

1. bbecca

bbecca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2016
    Oregon
    Going into this fall/winter season I'm noticing my coop is really dark inside all the time. We live in a wooded area as it is and now it's the rainy season so there are many gloomy, rainy days sometimes for days in a row. So my two part question is this...do I need to leave a light on for them all day long every day? And also I've been leaving two heat lamps on for them 24/7 for light and warmth. Temps have been getting down into 30s at night. Are the heat lamps necessary? (They are 3 months old)

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    In another post you said you had boarded up the only windows you had into you coop since your window coverings were wire and it was raining into the coop. Instead of boards I suggest you use something clear like Plexiglas or maybe heavy clear plastic to let some light in. Another option may be to get a window from Craigslist or maybe one of those “habitat” stores that recycles and install that. You don’t need a lot of light in there during the day but you do need enough to read a newspaper. The chickens need to be able to see what they are doing in there with the door closed. I’ll address the ventilation question when you provide more information in your other thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1139180/what-is-good-coop-ventilation-for-the-winter-months-mean

You do not need to provide them a heat lamp.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Show us some pictures!

4. bbecca

bbecca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2016
    Oregon
    @theoldchicki don't have any pics at the moment but will take a whole bunch tomorrow and respond back to you all. @Ridgerunner I will also address the other post tomorrow when I have more photos and info. Thank you for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by