Do I need more ventilation? (Pics) (another ventilation ?)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheJuan-n-Only, Jun 15, 2011.

1. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Hello, I'm almost done with my coop, but I have a question regarding ventilation. I live in Tampa Florida AKA is hot and humid...oh and HOT! lol .....It rains a lot and we get about 7 hrs a year of real cold temps! hehehe

So I have a 3 sided coop/run combo with the south and west walls having ventilation on the tops....do I need to add a window on the South wall or is this good enough? (east side is open to the run)

South wall..ventilation on the top

[​IMG]

Close up...vent is 4' long and about 3" tall

[​IMG]

Pic from the inside...both vents...the vent on the west wall is 5' long and about 4" tall and closes as it reaches the back...

[​IMG]

Here is my coop post if you want to see more pics

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6597383#p6597383

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks nice and it should be ok ventilation wise. If you're unsure hang a thermometer in there, your inside temps should not be much different than the outside temp. I hope critters don't find your bird's coop, it would be a massacre.

3. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Ventilation looks good....I would chicken wire the top there so critters cant get in looks great..

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    You can start with that much ventilation, and check with a thermometer. Are the nest boxes going to be in that enclosed area or somewhere else? Your birds will probably spend most of the hottest parts of the day in the run or under the enclosed area, only going inside at night to roost, or in there to lay.

Since you're doing such a wonderfully thorough job on this coop, go ahead and cover those ventilation spaces with hardware cloth battened on all sides with wood strips to keep the critters out and your birds safe. If you need more ventilation you can add it easily.

5. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:Thanks!! yes I have not put wire cloth on anything yet [​IMG]...that comes today...the ventilation areas will be wired...no worries. I may not have enough trim for the ventilation areas, but I do have screws and washers to secure the wire up there [​IMG]

I just bought a thermometer last night for the brooder...I will follow everyone's advice and check the temp....thank you all

The nest boxes are going to be under the coop on the south side (the 1st pic) coming out (like and outside coop nest box) with a door from the back to collect egg when the day comes....I seen it on "Chics in the sun's" coop and I liked that idea...plus since that area down there is already "framed up"...well LESS WORK! lol

Thank you all!!!

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It looks pretty plausible to me. But as others have said, the real test is to put a thermometer in there. If at 3 p.m. or so it reads the same as outdoor-in-the-shade temps, you're in good shape [​IMG]

If you were going to add a window, I'd suggest that being in Tampa you put it on the NORTH wall rather than the south. You don't really need additional solar gain [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. Harvey'sHens

Harvey'sHens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    This looks very similar to my coop. I have a window on the opposite side of the coop door. That would be west in your setup. It allows for a lot of air movement when the east door is open. Everything covered in hardware cloth. The small area under the coop they love for dust bathing and shade when it gets hot. I ran cloth underneath the whole run and then put lots of sand on top. It is very secure so I can leave the door that opens into the secure run open all night in the heat. Just make sure there are no gaps and the cloth is very secure.

8. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Great Job!!!! I think it's beautiful and if I was still living in Clearwater that is the same style that I've always thought I would've built. But I like yours better than my mental images [​IMG] You might want to put a coat of paint on the inside just because of the humidity, mold, and etc. or if you like the wood look some type of stain or clear coating, but it's really awesome.

9. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:I had totally forgot about the thermometer..I just went out and put it in there....the coop seemed cooler than under the tree..but then again is the AM and the wood is cool...

The north wall is against the yard fence..so not realy an option! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by