Do I need more ventilation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken995, Jun 14, 2011.

1. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Here is my set up so far.

Windows on east wall. This area is totally shaded by a roof over the run.
    [​IMG]

Windows on west wall. Not so much shade.
    [​IMG]

These windows let in quite a bit of sun, so I'm considering flipping them over and putting some "pop rods" on them to make a little awing type thing. What would you do?
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking for winter time I'll need more ventilation higher up. Like the highest corners in the north and south walls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I put install some ventilation there, should i do something like a gable end vent, or something more like what is on the west wall?

Thanks in advance.

2. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    IF you flip the widows I think you'll like the difference. I used gable vents from Lowes. Easy to install and have a fine screen. Many different sizes also.
    If you think you need more ventilation, then you do!
    Good luck

3. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Hi. It looks great. What are the dimensions & how many chickens are you planning to keep in there? Just curious.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You appear to be in good shape considering the number and size of the openings. What's you plan for winter ventilation? Maybe a vent in the gables would be a good idea as long as there is not a draft on the bird's roost, maybe you can design it to be adjustable so you can control air movement better.

5. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:8 x 12. Currently have 7. That number will likey change though a 3 of them are likely Roos. 2 will probably be rehomed or traded. If they are rehomed and if I'm following my chicken math correctly it takes 4 new hens to replace 2 roosters.

6. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    Quote:8 x 12. Currently have 7. That number will likey change though a 3 of them are likely Roos. 2 will probably be rehomed or traded. If they are rehomed and if I'm following my chicken math correctly it takes 4 new hens to replace 2 roosters.

At least! Hahaha, but it sounds like you have enough for a standard hatchery order of 25...[​IMG]

7. JerzeyTransplant

JerzeyTransplant Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Blount County
    I used a foundation vent at the top of our coop's wall. It only cost $15 and opens at 70 degrees and closes at 40. Maybe it can help you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by