Do I need more windows?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jimz1, Apr 18, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    Coop is almost done. It only has windows on 1 side. Do you think I need more?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I think you are great for windows. Make sure you leave room up high for adequate ventilation. Looks great!

3. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    Yay Chicks! :

I think you are great for windows. Make sure you leave room up high for adequate ventilation. Looks great!

x 2 [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Not for light.

You probably do need a fair bit more ventilation, but it usually works better to have purpose-made ventilation openings (not fancy prefab grille things from the store, just openings you secure hardwarecloth over), especially up atop the walls under the overhang, between the rafters (tho I can see you worked hard to custom-cut your sheathing to cover that [​IMG]) and/or at the top of the stud walls just below the top plate of the wall.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I plan to put vents in just below the rafters. I was thinking 2 vents per side,about 4" high by 2' long. I am going to make covers on hinges on the inside so I can open and close them whenever I need to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by