do i need nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by backyardchickenfarmer, Feb 1, 2009.

1. backyardchickenfarmer

backyardchickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    Hello, I'm making my coop for 4 bantams and the house part is 4x4 and the run part is 4x8 foot. there is roosts in the house and i wanted to know if i can just do roosts and no nest boxes.being that they really dont lay eggs i dont think there necessary. so can i just put roosts in there?Thanks

2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I would put a small 8x8x8 in for them off the floor so they wouldn't eat the eggs. A heavy cardboard box will also work.

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    You should probably provide something for them to build a nest on, even just a pile of straw that's away from the droppings coming off the roost.

4. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Bantams don't lay eggs? Do you have all roosters?

Wayne

5. backyardchickenfarmer

backyardchickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    sorry, i wrote that wrong:/ they dont lay eggs as much as egg layers. the still do they eggs but not as much, i hope that clears any confusion:)

6. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    They will prefer to have a clean, quiet and semi-private area to lay their eggs. Otherwise, they will find odd corners or other places to lay them. I'm assuming you will collect them and not leave them laying there until they rot, get eaten by the birds or critters that get into the coop. Having one simple nest box will make it easier for you and the hens will be more comfortable.

Wayne

7. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Stack two milk crates (Cheap to buy at Wal-Mart) on top of eachother top facing side of course like little shelves. Lay straw in the bottom and you have two nest boxes.

I bet you get a lot more eggs with them. AND they don't take up very much room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by