1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need niacin?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckymama2, Jun 11, 2016.

1. duckymama2

duckymama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I just purchased 4 Swedish Blue ducklings and 1 American Buff gosling. I have chick starter for them. Do I need niacin supplements for them? They are 4 days old. If so, where can I get it and is it called something else?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I know I will wish I never answered...
    As long as your chick starter is un- medicated and you provide them with range grass, grit, greens and grains. No you dont need to supply anything else.
    They will need water at all times deep enough to dunk their heads.

3. AceWeasel

AceWeasel Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2015
    if they're just eating the chick starter, yes, they will need niacin. most people go with brewer's yeast but nutritional yeast works as well (and you need less of it since it's higher in niacin than brewer's yeast, it's also apparently easier to find in my city). some people also put a niacin supplement in their water, but personally I find sprinkling a bit of nutritional or brewer's yeast on top of their food is easier.

4. duckymama2

Jun 16, 2014
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Where can I find Brewers yeast? And yes, as of now, they are only eating chick starter. I have 1 goose. Is it ok if she eats chick starter and grower pellets as they get older?

5. AceWeasel

May 15, 2015
    it's a nutritional supplement so try looking in the vitamin section where you shop or at a pharmacy, you can also try health food stores if you can't find it elsewhere. the bonus part on health food stores is if they don't have it then they'll likely at least likely have nutritional yeast instead, and in the rare case they don't or they're out of it they'll have niacin supplement pills you can break up and add to their water.

and yeah, until they're grown up they should be okay on starter and grower pellets. after that you'll want to get them on a regular feed and if any are hens once they start laying you'll want to put out a little oyster shell grit for them so they can get extra calcium too.

6. duckymama2

Jun 16, 2014
    Oak Hill, Florida

Thank you!!! How about grit until they are outdoors. They are still indoors and haven't been introduced to the outdoors yet. I think they are to small yet. Do they need grit?

7. AceWeasel

May 15, 2015
    you don't usually need grit with starter feed, but once they're out foraging they can use it. just make sure there's no calcium in the grit.

8. duckymama2

Jun 16, 2014
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Thanks for the quick responses!

9. duckymama2

Jun 16, 2014
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Can't find Brewers yeast anywhere. Can I use niacin pill vitiams?

10. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

Yes! Just get plain (not no flush, or flush free... These terms are used to indicate slow release formulas which won't be in the ducklings system long enough to do anything.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by