Do I need structure-grade plywood?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickieG, Apr 24, 2017.

1. ChickieG

ChickieG New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Escondido, CA
    I'm looking at 3/8 plywood for the main walls of my coop, but when comparing I see a code "Struct 1" for each. One is rated as yes and the other is no. When I looked it up, it said that it's about whether or not it's for building structures such as homes. They didn't mention coops. I want a lasting coop, but I'd also like to not pay for things unnecessary. So if this is integral to having a sound coop, I'm all for the extra cost, but if not, then I'd rather skip it.
    I don't have plans or a materials list, and for the moment am just winging it while I check prices for what I know we'll need, like lumber, hardware cloth, siding, and roofing.

Hoping the builders in the group can provide guidance on this question. Thank you!!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I use 3/8 sheathing for exterior and 1/2 inch for floor. The main thing to look for is if the sheathing is exterior grade. You don't want any kind of particle board or laminate for sheathing. I use the decorative exterior 3/8th sheathing like Plytanium. Has ship lapped ends and grooves like T-11 at 4 inch spacing for a nicer look. I use exterior stain for protection. Prefer the wood toners but you can use any color solid body stain too. Quick and easy apply stain and if a toner no scraping between applications just hose or pressure wash clean and reapply every 3-5 years like you would a fence or deck.

It will be harder to work with as it can split when screwing it on. Little extra care and perhaps even predrill is all. Cost and weight savings to me are well worth the small added time.

3. ChickieG

ChickieG New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Escondido, CA
    Thank you for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by