Do I need the 12-egg tray for Brinsea Mini Advance?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TweetyNPetey, Jan 2, 2013.

1. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

I just ordered 7 Serama eggs for my Brinsea Mini Advance incubator i got for xmas, and I need to know if i need the 12-egg tray. I thought i might need it, because I hear that Serama eggs are small. Can You help me?

2. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    i would go ahead and order it [​IMG]
    but lets see what others say..

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    How many grams are they, do you know?

I have hatched eggs with my regular tray that were 28-30 grams and they were fine. That's pretty small.

4. TweetyNPetey

ok, thank you very much!

5. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I use the 12-egg tray in mine for Serama eggs and it works great, but to be fair, I did not try to put them in the other tray so I do not know if it would work or not. Best of luck.....fyi-This first batch surprised me so i did not get the turner tray out before out they came but I recommend taking it out and I put down a circle of shelf liner....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  6. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    We've tried almost all the tabletop incubators available on the market and this one is by far our fav! Get near 100% hatch rates every time we use it, even on shipped eggs. We also raise Seramas and we always use the 12 egg holder for them.

7. adobechicks

adobechicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    How do you regulate your humidity?? The brinsea instructions say to keep 1 reservoir full until day 18 and than fill the other. But when I did that the humidity was sky high....so I only kept a little water in it and kept the humidity from 25-40% until day 18 and than 75% or higher. and only had 2 hatch and live. The others got to full size with feathers and everything but died just before hatching. The time before that none of them made it and seemed to have drowned !!!! I loaned my incubator to a friend and she did as the Brinsea suggested and hatched 6 out of 7 eggs.... Can you tell me what you do and if it has been successful . Also I live in CO so it is pretty dry.

8. TweetyNPetey

Thanks, you guys! You were very helpful!

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I live in Utah, and my humidity is, at best, around 30% inside. I usually have amazing hatch rates with my mini advance. The worst I've ever had was 4/7, and I was hatching pullet eggs with very young cockerels, so fertility rates were pretty awesome. I've only had two chicks make it to lockdown and then not hatch.

What I do with regards to humidity is this: I fill one side of the reservoir, and then every 3 days or so, when it runs dry, I fill it again. Then, on day 19 (when it stops turning), I fill both of them when I'm taking out the turning tray and putting in the felt. I don't worry about putting more water in because just when the water starts to go lower, the babies are hatching and that raises the humidity sky high.

10. adobechicks

adobechicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Thank you sooooo much. This sounds similar to what my friend did. I am going to give this strategy a try next time and hope for better results. Thank you :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by