Do I need to add more females?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EmAbTo48, Dec 21, 2011.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have 2 drakes. One a Rouen Mix (believe with a runner) and a pure bred Rouen. The Rouen I got had a mate but she sadly got attacked about 2 months ago by a nasty feral cat. I have 3 pekins, and a mix rouen female.

I had no problems with the 2 drakes for a year now, but my Rouen mix is now very violent with my Rouen chases him around the yard all day long! He didn't do this when the Rouen had his female Rouen mate at all! He left those 2 alone. Do you think adding 2 more Rouen females would balance them out or just make the aggression worse. I know its beginning breeding season and some aggression will be normal. Just wish his mate hadn't been killed [​IMG] it was fine then!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Adding more females may help but it is possible that your drakes new attitude is not related to breeding.

3. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Quote:What would be causing his new attitude? Hes 3 years old now.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009

It could be he just misses his mate. However sometimes ducks can just become more aggressive. That's what happened to my Pekin mix

5. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Whatever yo do, don't give him to many girls. This can cause a very deadly problem of which I'm not going to elaborate, lest I be banned from BYC (yeah, it's nasty). There should be an equal # of Drakes and ducks.

6. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin

It could be he just misses his mate. However sometimes ducks can just become more aggressive. That's what happened to my Pekin mix

My post is a little confusing its hard to explain. But the one that lost the mate was the purebred Rouen, and the one that is being nasty is the Rouen Mix. My Rouen Mix is 3 years old and this is the first time I have seen aggression from him towards another drake, we previously had a drake pekin but he passed of old age.

I was hoping I could introduce 2 more Rouen ducks and see if my Pure Rouen will take a liking to one. He hasn't mated with any of my other ducks at all, he has no interest in them what so ever!

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:It could be he just misses his mate. However sometimes ducks can just become more aggressive. That's what happened to my Pekin mix

My post is a little confusing its hard to explain. But the one that lost the mate was the purebred Rouen, and the one that is being nasty is the Rouen Mix. My Rouen Mix is 3 years old and this is the first time I have seen aggression from him towards another drake, we previously had a drake pekin but he passed of old age.

I was hoping I could introduce 2 more Rouen ducks and see if my Pure Rouen will take a liking to one. He hasn't mated with any of my other ducks at all, he has no interest in them what so ever!

Do you have somewhere else you could pen him with the 2 new girls? I'd do that until he gets to know them, and then let him and "his" girls out with the other flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by