Do I need to add Oyster shells?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tenmore, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    We got our first egg today....Do I need to add oyster shells to their diet? First egg was small but hard. or do I add it only if soft shells show up?

2. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    I only add oyster shell when I started getting shelless eggs on a regular basis.

3. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I never add oyster shell....I save all my egg shells from eggs used in cooking, and then bake them in the oven when I have a good amount. then I crush them up and feed it too the chickens.

ETA I think its important to crush it up real good so they don't start to think egg shells = food

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  4. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    My pullets are 16 weeks and no eggs yet, but I put out some oyster shell just so they could have it if they felt they needed it or wanted it. I have noticed 2 of my 3 going for it and from appearances they are the most advanced. They are getting nice big combs and waddles and they are starting to turn red. I am hoping for eggs any time now.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:They either need layer feed or free choice oyster shells on the side. If you are feeding layer feed (which is fortified with the calcium they need) they generally don't need the oyster shell.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I keep oyster shell out in a separate dish and they take it when they want it.

7. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Thanks they have been on layer feed for a couple weeks now....So I will hold off on the shells untill needed thanks again. [​IMG]

8. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. I have my feed premixed with oyster shells in it. Then you don't have to worry about it. [​IMG]

9. Five Dog Farm

Five Dog Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    I mix a little bit in with their scratch about once a week.

10. Oopoo

Oopoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:the microwave works great too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by