Do I need to add something?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fluffyxx, Nov 26, 2012.

1. fluffyxx

fluffyxx Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    I have 10 red sex link chickens. Just recently I have been noticing more cracked shells when I gather the eggs. They aren't cracked open. Just seems like they may have been pecked or something. I've also noticed a few eggs that seem to feel sort of like it has a thinner shell. I am currently feeding them Dumor Layer Crumble 16%. My dad keeps saying I need to get them some oyster shell. But, then I've read that they only need the layer feed. So, do I need to add something?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Offer oyster shell in a separate container so the girls can take it as they need it. Also, every time you use eggs, toss the shells back out to the girls. Mine love them. If they don't need the extra calcium, then they most likely won't eat the oyster shell. Also, if your girls are molting, you may get some puny eggs. They may be pecking at the eggs to eat the shells.

3. fluffyxx

fluffyxx Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Thanks for the help! I had considered adding some oyster shell before now, but just never thought they really needed it. I wasn't sure if it was because its getting colder and they needed the little extra calcium or what was causing it.
    But, I don't think they are molting... they don't seem to be shedding feathers & I think they are too young, from what I've read, to be molting. They are less than a year old.

Anyways, thanks... once again for the help!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by