1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need to bring back in?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KFox, May 6, 2011.

1. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I've been using a Rubbermaid container in my bathroom as a brooder.

The temperature stays about 65-75 and even 80 directly under the lamp. The chicks have been here from 1-3 weeks. They are all grouped together. Some of them are getting too warm and starting to perch on the sides of the plastic container at night. I moved the heat lamp away and have started turning it off during the day. They haven't ever acted cold but are not feathered all the way.

Today it is 63F outside with the low tonight being 48. I took them out to the shed we are converting to a chicken coop. I used a dog play yard to make an area, gave them pine shavings, hooked the heat lamp up and put them in it. I have two thermometers. The one closest to the heat lamp is reading 78F and the one farthest away is reading 65F.

This is the set up.
    [​IMG]

Do I need to bring them in tonight or will it stay warm enough? The shed is not yet insulated but the heat lamp will be on all night. Any suggestions?

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. KFox

Apr 19, 2011
    Ugh. Second page already.

*bump*

3. whitehousechix

whitehousechix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Oregon
    Our days are about 50 and nights about 40, mine are 3 weeks old and are in a metal shet with the door closed at night, in a old bath tub with a heat lamp, they do fine. they have not been in the house at all. and it got frosty here a few nights ago. just keep the heat lamp on.

4. KFox

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for the response! I plan on leaving them out tonight and trying it. It's supposed to be 50 or warmer the rest of the week.

5. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    They should be fine with the heat lamp! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by