1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need to buy grit since we live in Florida?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fledgling, Apr 20, 2009.

1. fledgling

fledgling Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Our soil is sandy. In fact, it's all sand. Very little organic material at all. Looks like a big sandbox outside. Can our chickens just use our native soil or do we have to purchase grit?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Absolutely! But, the sand may be fine for them as younger birds, but ours find rocks here and there for digestion. What happens is as the birds gizzard works the food, as the rocks get smaller, they will pass through the digestive tract.
    So, its a loaded question with a simple answer, no, you will not need to buy grit.

3. fledgling

Apr 8, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    We don't have any rocks. I know, weird. Still okay? [​IMG]

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Perhaps someone else could answer that...I am in Maine where we grow rocks !! The frost is always lifting rocks from deep ledges! LOL, I love it, have in-laws in florida and they don't worry about it.
    Sorry if I sound like I'm having fun with you but I cannot imagine.

5. fledgling

Apr 8, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    No worries! I was stationed in Rhode Island so I understand about the rocks up there! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  6. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    No you don't need to buy grit. Believe me I know what you mean about sand Our farm is called Sugar Sand Farm I use the sand in the brooder instead of bedding. Its cheaper and I find it works well. I have never had any pasting problems since I started this. And the chickens love to sand bath when they get older. Of course it becomes an obstacle course sometimes.lol

7. Chick - n - Rachel

Chick - n - Rachel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Bradenton, FL
    I offered my girls our Florida sand as I was giving them treats, but they, one girl in particular, eat all the sand, about a half cup full (I only have five girls and they were three weeks old at the time!)
    Laura my black star got a HUGE crop that tock days to go down, I was super worried.
    Im new to this and since then havent offered sand or treats, it scared me too bad, Im going to wait till 10 weeks old and use the grit Ive got from TSC, I have no experience in what Im saying, but from what Ive since read, maybe sprinkle sand in there food or just keep a real good eye on then with the sand, but then again maybe I just have crazy sand eating monsters, and you'll be fine!! Hope all goes well!

8. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    sand is not the right size for grinding
    the chicks will pack their crops with it and it will not have good grinding for the gizzard
    the gizzard needs larger size gravel to grind with
    pea gravel is the best for out side
    so please provide them with granite grit
    it does not cost that much and it better abd healthier for them

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    If the chickens are getting pellets or mash, they do not "absolutely need" grit. Mash/pellets don't need any grinding down. In that case, the sand will be fine.. they can scratch or hunt around for pieces to their liking.

10. fledgling

Apr 8, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Thanks! They do sell it and I think the local feed store suggested it. Just never thought about it until I read about sand here. I'll get some once they are off the chick starter. in the meantime, maybe a little sand in a dish for the to play with once they get a little bigger?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by