Do i need to change my nesting boxes for my Khaki Campbells i want to get?

White Wyandotte

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2020
I'm wanting to know if i need to change my existing nesting boxes for 3 khaki Campbells?
my nesting boxes (2) are about 2 feet off the ground for my 5 hens.
Would i need to add some more nesting boxes on the ground below the existing nesting boxes?
Also can Khaki Campbells fly? I've watched videos and people say they have flown away?

There's flying... and then there's FLYING. I've seen all my ducks catch air and glide when startled, and I've seen my ducks clear a 6ft chain link fence. What I haven't seen is any of them flying south for the winter. It's enough that I've pretty much had to clip everybody's wings, though I don't do that until the first time they get close to that fence I mentioned.

As to nest boxes, ducks like to lay on the ground, close to water. The lower the nest box the better. Having said that, don't be surprised when they lay everywhere else. My Indian runners ignore the nest box for weeks at a time, preferring to lay in an area they hollowed out right by the door.

The best way to control where the ducks lay is to shut them into a "duck house" (coup) for the night and don't open the door at the crack of dawn. The average duck will lay her egg the first thing in the morning. By having them shut in until that means all the eggs will be somewhere in the duck house, at least.

D

My ducks like nesting boxes on the floor, and they feel safest in corners so they like them there. They will also just make their own nests in corners with straw. I have success putting dummy eggs where I want them to want them to lay. They really like to put eggs where there are already eggs.

My khakis (and other mallard derived ducks) "fly" but don't fly. I've never needed to clip flight feathers. They get a little lift and glide when they are excited, when I call them they jump up and get a couple feet off the ground and flap 20-30 feet to me, and even "fly" around their barn in the morning when they hear me coming. But they've never flown over fences - maybe they would if they were motivated. All ducks are individuals, that's just my experience with mine.

My wh were confined in two foot fence and it worked! Flying depends a lot on the individual duck, things like being skinny, hungry, scared, mischievous, rebellious, or dumb will definitely contribute to a tendency to fly. If they feel safe and comfortable they might not want to fly away but some ducks are just turds and will fly anyway.

My ducks would lay eggs in the yard but for the most part they liked the dog house in their predator proof night enclosure. I never used dummy eggs but everyone says to use them and it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom