Do I Need to Clip Their Wings? We Need an Answer This Morning!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OldGuy43, May 25, 2012.

1. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Yes, but wait until they are older.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The ten new Khaki Campbell ducks are now 3 months old and almost as big as Sunsinger. OldGal and I believe they're ready to move out of the grow-out pen. The part of the run they'll be moving into is about 30' x 12' with a 4' fence minimum. Do I need to clip their wings before we move them out?

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. kellyn

kellyn Songster

Nov 17, 2011
    bunnell, Florida
    Khaki's aren't a flighty breed, so I wouldn't worry. Of course, certain ducks are different than the breed standards. I have muscovies and on wing clipping day I had one fly about 300 feet from the dround up. Into our neighbors property.

But anyways, Khaki's I wouldn't worry too much about. And there's no way they'll scale a 4' fence. Go under or through like mine, maybe, but not over.

Good luck!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The only way they could get out of a 4' fence would be to scale it if there was a section that was not taut. It should not be necessary to clip their wings. (Besides, it's so unsightly.)

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ditto sourland. Upright fence, 4 feet high, has always kept my runners in. Leaning fence, 3 feet high, can be pushed farther over and scaled with some wing flapping. I speak from direct observation.

5. wildpeas

wildpeas Songster

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    My khaki can get about 2 feet off the ground if she runs downhill and the wind is blowing. [​IMG] She's almost 3 months now. I'm confident our 4 foot fence will keep her inside.

6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    The only wings I clip are on the muscovies. The others can only go about two feet high if they are lucky.

7. Mum

Mum Songster

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    No need [​IMG] (I know I'm too late answering but just saw this)

Khaki's are not flyers and won't even scale a 3' fence, so your 4' is more than adequate: positively "unscalable" in khaki terms [​IMG]

Glad to see your post, I was wondering today how your ducklings were doing. Seems they are doing just great [​IMG]

8. Thanks to all who responded. The quackers are out with the cluckers. More later on. [​IMG]

9. Mum

Mum Songster

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Yay!!! Hope they all settle into their hierachy without too much squabbling.

Looking forward to the next update [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: