Do I need to close up the door at night?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rainbowlake mama hen, Dec 21, 2010.

1. rainbowlake mama hen

rainbowlake mama hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    It's hitting the mid 20's here right now at night. I finally got them trained to go INSIDE the coop so now I"m wondering if I need to be closing the door at night. I have been but am wondering if it's really necessary. Whatcha' think?

[​IMG]

2. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, because sooner or later predators will find them.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I'm not seeing any ventilation so I would say no. However, you need to make a heavy screen door and close them up at night so predators don't go in there. Even possums will kill your girls. Love your picture BTW!!!

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Yes predators will find there way in at night! Closing the door should be a must!

-Nate

5. rainbowlake mama hen

rainbowlake mama hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    oh, I should have pointed out that they are in an enclosed run around the coop, so they are safe from predators, but I just have been closing them up to keep them warmer....there is ventilation on the corners that you can't see in the picture.

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I agree, you need to protect them from all the things that would like to have a late night chicken dinner.
    And I just love the chicken bench! [​IMG]

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Yep. I would continue closing it just to be safe. I love the chicken bench too [​IMG]

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:The run seems to be made of chicken wire??? Not sufficient for keeping predators out, sorry.
    You'll need to keep them safe by closing the door, but also add vents if you need to compensate for the lost ventilation.
    Having good ventilation is very important in the wintertime!
    As far as the temperatures go, they don't need the door shut to keep them warm. 20's isn't really very cold for chickens.

9. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    YES!! My coop has a fenced in run, and there is a window in the coop. I had left the coop doors open (they are small doors, maybe 2 ft X 1 1/2 feet?) 'cause it was so hot. Possum got in and killed 2 chicks, ate some of Cleo's comb, and one other hen escaped out of the run. This was in the middle of the night. Luckily I heard it, and caught it before it killed my other chicks. [​IMG] So YES YES YES close up at night!!!!!!

Jen

10. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Better safe than sorry; close that door EVERY night...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by