1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need to Cut my hens toenails?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fushalilly, Jan 19, 2010.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I used to have 4 free rangers and they never needed their nails cut becaue they wore them down easy.

Now I have hens and they are not free range, they are confined. They look a lot longer than my other ones looked, should I cut them?

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Free-range birds rarely need nail trimming because they file them down by scratching around in the dirt. However, birds that don't have access to digging in the ground get longer nails and depend on their caretakers to file or cut them. So in short, yes, you should cut them down if they are very long, or they can be painful for the bird. Dog nail trimmers work very well for this.

3. Manok-Tao

Manok-Tao Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    Quote:Do chicken's nails have a quick?

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Do chicken's nails have a quick?

YES

Just cut the transparent part of the nail

5. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Okay, thanks!

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You may find that an abrasive surface in the coop and another in the run will be useful- patio block, cinder block, rough-surfaced briaks, granite rock...I use these to keep my hens' nails down.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by