Do I need to dig a trench

Shainam88

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2021
Hi guys ! I’m new to owning chickens and I just bought a coop with a run. I live in Florida by the way . Is an apron enough to keep out predators or should I dig a trench and put wire in it? Any suggestions are appreciated

On my coop I just have an apron. You just need to make sure it’s long enough. It should be at least a foot long (or 38.5 cm’s). If you want to put a trench in go ahead. It will provide the chickens with extra protection incase the predator finds a way under the apron (it’s very unlikely it will happen).

No need to trench if the apron is wide enough. Also in "sunny" Florida. Most of our digging predators are lazy, and will try to dig under right up against the barrier (fence, coop wall, whatever), but we have a few who make large shallow digs. Recommend 18" of skirting around your perimeter, minimum, if that's your plan. Be certain its well attached to the coop/run - does no good if a dog-sized predator can pull the apron from the skirt while digging.

:welcome :frow fellow floridian. I did dig a trench a foot deep in some places along my fence line and buried wire in the trench and used hog rings to attach it to the bottom of the fence but an apron would work well too as long as it's wide enough. I also have electric wires around my coops and pens and nothing messes with the hot wires. I also have good heavy duty netting covering my pens and concrete under the gates, all due to losses from predators in the past.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators

Apron has worked fine for me for about 4 years now.

It really boils down to how you want to do it. Where I have my coop is under a tree and I would have had to fight roots all day to bury it. I just have it pinned down and now the grass has grown up in it so you can't even see it anymore. I don't really care about looks since it's behind my shop and nobody can easily see it anyways.

Back
Top Bottom