1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need to give my bird oyster shell?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by beakmaster, Mar 3, 2013.

1. beakmaster

beakmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    I have had my birds on dumor chick starter even though they are 4 months old. I have purchased some oyster shells but they are too big for my birds. Crushing them down is proving to be a challenge. How do you crush these down to size? Also, should I change them over to laying feed?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Do you also have males in this flock of quail? They can not tolerate the calcium levels in layer feed, so you might stick with the starter feed and offer up the oyster shell on the side.

You will have to crush up the pullet sized oyster shell pieces for quail to eat. You can also purchase oyster shell already crushed or get the stuff that is put in automatic oyster shell dispensers. It is chipped up really small for quail.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  3. beakmaster

beakmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    We have 10 in 1 pen and 2 of them are males. I have tried putting the oyster in a rag and beating it with a hammer and it didn't give up much, its tough.
    Also, are meal worms healthy for them?

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    an old blender will work but it is REALLY LOUD and dusty! it is easier to just buy the crushed shell sold for pet birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by