Do I need to insulate my coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jakesbigpapa, Mar 2, 2012.

1. jakesbigpapa

jakesbigpapa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    Hey....I'm brand new to the backyard chicken game, and I'm getting started on my first coop. I live in the Finger Lakes region of New York, and my question is, do I need to insulate my coop? I know that it's a complete beginner question, but I figure that's why this site is such a great resource. I'm planning on building something similar to the Chicken Paradise coop, tossing in my own flavor and specifications. My flock will be between 6 and 12 birds, beginning with 3 golden comets and 3 speckled sussex, arriving the end of this month.

I'm just kind of confused, because I've checked out TONS of pictures and plans for coops in many different climates, and there doesn't seem to be any consistency regarding insulation. Some do, some don't........help!!!!

2. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Give me a minute and I will hook you up with a person in your neck of the woods.

3. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Check out "Greymanes" profile and shoot an email. He will probably know more about your weather and area than anyone else on here.

1 person likes this.
  4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    No need to insulate or heat your coop. Ventilation is key, you want good air flow. The coop provides wind shelter and protection from predators. We live in northern NH. No heat no problem.

5. jakesbigpapa

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    Thanks for both of the speedy responses. It's nice hearing from northern New Hampshire, because the climate up there is definitely going to be more severe than our climate here.

6. Protect from the wind, and have good ventilation. Also, have some petrol jelly for the combs. I remember one night it was -10 out, and in the coop it was 10 degrees, no light, no heat, no nothing! This was a 4x4 coop.

Good luck and have fun!

7. jakesbigpapa

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    Thanks everyone....I'm soooooo excited. It's really hard to wait another 3+ weeks to get my chicks. Everyday, my son asks me, "Daddy, are we going to get our chickens today?" At least, tomorrow the weather forecast is looking decent for starting the coop.

8. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Welcome to the flock! Make your coop/hen house larger then you think you need. Once you get your birds you will understand.The old timers around here call it chicken math! You will get more chickens, really, just go ahead and buy them and save yourself a lot of trouble. So welcome to the crazy hobby of chicken farming and to being kept by the little stinkers.We all know the hens rule the roost!

9. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    LOL .... Chicken math .... I pick my first group of chicks up next week .... chicken math ... I started out with 10 ...then 12 ...then 16 ..now I am at 20 birds that will be added to my new addiction [​IMG]

I have also increased my coop size from 8x6 to 8x9 to now 9x12 and my run has also increased to 10'x28 ....chicken math ... it's what we do [​IMG]

10. jakesbigpapa

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    Chicken math....I've read a lot about it since I joined BYC.....thanks for the heads up.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by