Do I need to insulate? Suggestions for how?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jahphotogal, Oct 8, 2012.

1. jahphotogal

jahphotogal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    CT
    First time chicken owner, five grown (25 week old) birds. Coop from PVC pipe, hardware cloth and corrugated plastic, with a tarp on top and a platform with a roost about 2 feet above the ground. The platform is open on one end, and on the other is a wall of plastic (with a cutout egg door). The plastic also goes over the top.

Pictures at http://peepcluck.blogspot.com/ and below.

I live in northwest CT where winter days can routinely be in the 20s and occasionally get as low as 0. A lot of snow is predicted this year.

I read on another, similar thread about a "huddle box" - is that sufficient? How big should it be? Does it need a roost? Or should I do more? Do I need a different structure altogether, that has more insulation all around? Advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jahphotogal

May 15, 2012
    CT
    Seems like maybe I could put haybales all around for some protection, plus one under the platform so they can get off the ground... would that work? And is it necessary?

3. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I'm not an expert by any means, but this seems to me like a great summer coop. Chickens don't generally need a heat source in cold weather as long as they have a well ventilated but non drafty situation. Personally, I'd want a solid structure that could be enclosed on all sides as well as top and bottom. Keep the ventilation above their heads when they're roosting and keep the drafts out otherwise and they should be fine. I'd also want it to be able to withstand the snow load. What you have would be great for a run, but I'd put a coop at one end so they could get in out of the wind and snow.

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I agree with this. Since you've only got 5, I suggest building a simple structure from something like plywood or the like and placing it inside what you already have.

5. jahphotogal

May 15, 2012
    CT
    I got some hay bales and I'm going to put them all around to create thick walls - that will also keep the snow from drifting into the floor. Then I'll make a simple box to put inside for them to huddle in for extra protection.

Now if they'd only start laying - they're 26 weeks old and nothing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by