Do I need to keep the windows open?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by branston, Oct 5, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I have a nice coop with a window on two sides. The coop also has vents just below the roof. The temp has got to the low 40s in the night now.......do I need to be closing both windows? Right now, I close just the one and leave the other one open by 4 inches.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I keep my windows wide open unless it gets below 10. Ventilation is much more important than heat.
    I, nor anyone I know, has lost birds to the cold but I know lots that have lost birds to heat and respiratory problems.

If your windows are on opposite sides it could cause a draft so I would just leave the one to the east or south open.
    It depends on the size of the windows. Strive for at least 1 sq. ft. of opening per bird.

3. branston

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Thanks so much!

4. smokinjay

smokinjay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    I close my windows at night, but I have great ventlation system. Now the reason I shut my window's is to check on how well its doing. (couple mods. a week) preparing for bitter cold.

5. tracysbantams

tracysbantams Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I agree with ChickenCanoe....Ventilation is much more important than heat.

I have a smaller chicken coop probably 8x8 and we keep the windows open until it gets real cold and freezing temps. Even then we still have their little door that they go through and the vent fan area opened. We don't have any problems with our birds.

My mom has a much larger building. Not sure how big....but it is big. She closes most of the windows and their little doors when she thinks it is to cold and what not. She has problems frequently with her birds. The ventilation is the only real difference between us. We live directly across the street from each other.

Tracy

6. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I left the one window open all summer for ventilation, then realized that the screen was probably not strong enough to prevent something from tearing it open and getting to the girls. So now I leave it open a 1/3 way during the night, it's a little cooler now, but by next warm season I'll replace it with stronger stuff. [​IMG]

7. branston

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I nailed hard cloth (stronger than chicken wire) over my screen windows to stop anything getting in

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Smart man!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by