Do I Need To Lock My Girls Up At Night??

ALVIEMAN

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
SAINT CLAIR, MO
hu.gif
:confused:POSTED THIS BEFORE, BUT GOT NO RESPONSES. I HAVE A SECURE RUN ATTATCHED TO MY COOP. MY GIRLS ONLY USE THE COOP TO LAY IN. THEY SLEEP ON A ROOST IN THE RUN. COLD OR NOT. SHOULD I LOCK THEM IN THE COOP AT NIGHT OR LET THEM SLEEP WERE THEY CHOOSE?? SEEM TO BE FINE AND IN GOOD HEALTH. NOT SURE WHY THEY DON'T GO IN COOP MUCH. THANKS

It really depends. In Montana I'd expect there to be coyotes, coons, skunks, foxes, weasels...

Unless you buried your fence more than a foot or have some other impenetrable barrier impervious to patient diggers, I wouldn't risk it. If you're worried about not getting up in time to let them out, consider an automated setup for the door. I wouldn't risk it because of the time and money that have gone into my birds, but it comes down to doing what you want and learning the hard way if you take the easy way out by not cooping them up.

I'll add that I live in a suburban area and do not deal with predators outside of skunks and coons, and neither dig. I have not had a problem with them but I could, and I built my setup to accommodate that risk. If your setup is properly designed for your area they should be fine.

Turns out, chicken is on the menu for alot of predators. Given enough time - such as the hours between dusk and dawn - several species of predators can get in the seemingly safest and securest run. The safest place for a chicken to be at night is in a locked coop.

Could predators dig into the run or reach their scurvy paws through the wire? If they can't, then I'd say It would be alright, though if I were you, I'd force them to sleep in the coop. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
hmm.png

I leave my pop door open a night, but I have a secure run. I don't put a roost out in the run b/c I don't want to encourage them sleeping out there. I use to lock them up at night until I reinforced my run with hardware cloth.

Mine are locked up at night like Fort Knox. I had to reinforce my windows with hardware cloth as one of the girls was grabbed by a racoon and beheaded. They have a chain link run during the day and some free range with me with them.

Run Is Totally Enclosed. No Preds Seen Except Coons And Fox. Run Outside Br Window About Fifteen Yards. Girls Woke Us Up Once And Saw Fox, Nothing Since. Lights On Asap, So Fox Ran. Bright Lights On Both. Covered In Plastic Now Except For Door, Not Near Roosting Spot. They Seem Fine, Just Worried Too Cold. Preds Not On My Mind Now. Seem Safe For Six Months. Just Not Sure Bout Cold. Thanks For Response.

Back
Top Bottom