1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need to move my broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jrhodes, Feb 24, 2009.

1. jrhodes

jrhodes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    One of my gals have been sitting on eggs for 3 days. The other hens are not bothering her. Do you think it's safe to just leave her or does she need her own place? I don't really know how many eggs she is sitting on because when I get near her she makes an awful noise. Can I try to put more eggs under her or is it too late?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't give her more eggs at this point, unless you want to take those eggs away and give her a whole new batch. After the 1st couple chicks start hatching the broody will only sit for another 24-48 hours to let the rest hatch, then she'll leave the nest with her new family. So, eggs that are 3 days younger than the ones she has won't hatch with the first ones.

I would try to get in there and count her eggs and mark them with a pencil or pen. That way, if another hen lays in her nest, you'll know it doesn't belong. Mine usually get up to eat when they see me coming with the treat bucket and I can examine their nests at leisure.

If she's been sitting this long without anyone bothering her, she'll probably be fine. Sometimes I move mine, sometimes I don't. It all depends on the circumstances. I only move them if the other hens are dragging them off the nest or once I had a ditzy broody constantly forgetting where her nest was and brooding in a different box everytime she got up to eat - it was really annoying following her around with her eggs! [​IMG]

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    And another problem you might encounter is that when the chicks hatch, they might not be able to get out of the nest box or back into it when they try to follow mama around. I usually try to get my gals moved within two or three days of broodiness. I have one I have to move tonight actually. Don't be afraid of the noise she makes. Just put on some gloves so she can't peck you and pull those eggs out to get a look. Just be careful to pull them out egg-down, hand up, so if she pecks hard, she'll hit the back of your hand, not an egg.

4. jrhodes

jrhodes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    She has always kinda been a loner anyway. I have 4 nest boxes. The other hens just walk by and look at her and then hop into one of the other boxes. Thanks for your advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by