1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do I need to move my roost?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bram, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Bram

Bram Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Southeastern Illinois
    the weather isn't a problem yet, but I'm wondering if I should move the roost inside my coop. There are two roosts, but of course they use the highest one. And that one sits up high enough that the girls heads can be seen through the roof line ventilation. Haven't I read that it's best that the ventilation not be right above their heads? I'll take a picture in the am to post so you can see better what I am talking about. Whaddya think??

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    If it gets really cold in the winter you mau want to lower the roost a bit so that the chickens don't have the cold wind freeze their combs/wattles....that's my only idea, maybe I should wait for pics...[​IMG]...

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm going to say 'it depends'. On how close the roost is to the vent(s); and on whether your ventilation openings are located such that you can close the upwind vents entirely on cold or breezy days and use only the downwind side ones (i.e., are they large enough for this to be sufficient?)

If you can use just downwind-side vents in the coldest weather, and if the roost is not right next to them, it may not be a problem.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Bram

Bram Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Southeastern Illinois
    Here's a couple of photos to show just how close the girls are to the ventilation in the coop. There are openings about 4" tall across the width of three walls in the coop. The roosts can be removed for cleaning, etc. So, I can just take out the higher one and leave the other one in place for them. We intend on making some "trap doors" to close up the ventilation openings in case it gets very windy and cold in the winter. Let me know what you think. I don't want frozen ladies!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You're for sure going to want weatherstripped flaps to close the upwind 2-3 sides of that ventilation off during the winter, and possibly to 'narrow down' the remainder on the coldest nights.

Once you do that, as long as the downwind side is not the side right against the roosts, I would suspect your roost will be fine as is. Though of course you can play it by ear.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by