Do I need to put food/water in coop for nighttime?

C&C Chickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Bay Area
I've looked high and low for the answer to this question but haven't seen it addressed... We lock our girls into their coop at night to keep them safe from predators, and have been wondering whether we need to put food and water in with them. So far we haven't been and they seem to be ok, but as the days are getting shorter, they are spending more time locked in and I don't want them to go hungry or thirsty.

C&C Chickens :

I've looked high and low for the answer to this question but haven't seen it addressed... We lock our girls into their coop at night to keep them safe from predators, and have been wondering whether we need to put food and water in with them. So far we haven't been and they seem to be ok, but as the days are getting shorter, they are spending more time locked in and I don't want them to go hungry or thirsty.

if you dont have automatic coop door opener u might think about it n where you located to. i am in tenn so we get snow here and i train my chicks that they will have water and chicken pellets [main food] inside the coop. i open the coop door for them in morning between 630 to 830 am if i dont get out there by 8 then i dont feel guility having them lock up that late without water n food. in the run they have water and there treat there , they walk back n worth inside the coop for there chicken pellets. i notice they poop more outside during the day. i fill up the feeders inside when i lock the coop door at night.​

I always have water in the coop. You really don't want to deprive them of water at any time. I've gone both ways with food. I keep it in the coop now to keep it dry and protected from other critters.

Yes, most especially the water but unless you're up at the crack of dawn and let them out, they should probably have food there too. In fact, as the post above, feeding inside the coop is good protection against wild birds which can bring in all kinds of pests and diseases. The chickens will learn to go in to eat.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I keep extra water outside but food always stays inside with water too. I'm always afraid something would happen here that I couldn't let them out the next morning early.

My girls have free access to a covered run, I don't close them in their coop. I keep a 3 gallon water jug in the coop with their food and a 5 gallon waterer outside. If I locked up in their coop, I would definitely at least make sure I had a water supply for them inside.

I keep food inside but no water. Might be backwards but it works for me. Soon as they go outside they all run to get a drink. I used to keep water in the coop and probably will add one for winter but for now, it works fine as is.

Thanks everyone for your posts. I've already put water in the coop, and will do so from now on. The coop is pretty small so there really isn't room to also put their food regularly, so I think I will continue to feed them outside and just put a little food in during the longer winter nights.

I don't have any food outside for them... their food and water is inside and their little door is open during the day, so if they want to go in from the run and eat they can. This way, they have access whenever they want, it stays dry, nothing else gets to it. It also makes them want to return to their coop
smile.png
I sometimes put it out on the ground for them to eat and scratch at, then rake up anything they didn't eat at night so no other birds get in there to eat it and poo.... as others said, a lot of illness can be picked up from wildlife...
If you look under members pages and check out what Monk has for a feeder and waterer, we did something VERY similar... they don't waste hardly ANY food and have fresh water, and it does not take up much floor space at all....
OH! i do feed them treats etc outside in their run...it is just that their main feeder is inside....

Last edited:
C&C Chickens :

Thanks everyone for your posts. I've already put water in the coop, and will do so from now on. The coop is pretty small so there really isn't room to also put their food regularly, so I think I will continue to feed them outside and just put a little food in during the longer winter nights.

can we see your set up plz pictures is a must lol
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom