Do I Need To Quarantine Chicks From The Same Place?

MONKEY2580

In the Brooder
May 26, 2016
I recently got 13 english orpingtons. 7 of which died. The people i got them from agreed to replace the lost chicks, which is nice. But i was wondering since i have had the other ones for a while when i get the replacements, do i need to quarantine them away from others or can i put them in with the older ones, considering they all get along.

The ones that survived are about three weeks old. The new ones I don't know how old they will be. I just don't want to spread a disease to them if i sont quarantine the new ones,because I have already lost enough.

welcome-byc.gif

They're from the same place, so I wouldn't bother. Whatever your older birds have, if it was a disease, the littles are going to be exposed to also.

Little chicks don't usually die of disease. It's usually stress, overheating, or unthrifty stock.

I did some research and some people said that sometimes chick's will have a disease or some things in with them, and when they get stressed out (going to a new home) it can activate the disease. So I'm wondering if that might be what it is

I doubt it. . Possible maybe... chicks die sometimes. For awhile I hatched batch after batch.. never lost a chick... then I hatched a huge batch.. lost a few.. when taking chicks out if the incubator the smell from hatching was horrible. . So I think the the humidity and crappy air they were exposed to was the culprit. . So now I remove the chicks few hours after hatch.. removing egg shells with them.. allowing the remaining chicks not to be exposed to such foul air..
Now a lose a chick once in awhile. .

Personally if there replacing them just do it if there too young.. keep them in seperate brooder till older.. make sure your brooder is not to hot.. if chicks don't lay under light.. use a lower watt bulb.. make sure the got enough room to get away from light...

Good luck with your chicks. .

Thanks I too have hatched batch after batch. I haven't had any problems except for these guys. So if they aren't too young go ahead and put them with them? I just don't want any disease or sickness passed around.

How old were chicks when they died?

3 weeks difference will probably have territorial issues...might need to keep them separated by wire at first.

That's what I was thinking I will watch them and see how they do. And if they don't get along I will separate them. I'm not so much worried that they don't get along more that the big ones won't be careful and will step on the little guys. But hopefully it will all work out.

That's what I was thinking I will watch them and see how they do. And if they don't get along I will separate them. I'm not so much worried that they don't get along more that the big ones won't be careful and will step on the little guys. But hopefully it will all work out.
The olders may likely out and out attack the new intruders.

Back
Top Bottom