1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need to show my hens their hen house?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Txboi83, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Txboi83

Txboi83 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Dallas
    I was wondering if I need to show my hens their hen house?

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I just put my hens in their house and let them alone for the day giving them their space so they can take their own sweet time checking their place out

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    When I introduced my hens to the coop I put them in at 6 weeks and kept them in the house for several days before letting them in the run.

4. 1hotmoma

1hotmoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing with my new building I am moving mine to. They are kinda exploring it right now but I am going to have them move in for more permanent stay.

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] My chickens were so happy with the coop we built, they moved in at sunset. [​IMG] We didn't think it was ready, but who knows what chickens desire for their houses?[​IMG]

6. ridgewood chickens

ridgewood chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Monadnock Region, NH
    I just finished building my coup over the weekend, I attached the run to it that they had been in all summer, opened their little doorway in the end of the coup, and within a few hours they had moved in and seem to be extremely happy.

7. Txboi83

Txboi83 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Dallas
    Well what Ive been doing for the past two nights was butting them in their new hen house for the night in the hope that they will figure out where to go at night does anyone else have any other ideas?

8. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    We put our chickens in the hen house and kept them indoors for a couple of weeks, wanting then to get used to laying IN the hen house; but, our hen house and run are both pretty large so this wouldn't work for all situations. After the two weeks they've never had difficulty going back to the hen house at night or putting their eggs elsewhere. Picture of the hen house is here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/06/13/new-chicken-coop-with-surprise/

9. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    The entire time we were building it, we couldn't stop them from coming in and "christening" the floor. They must have know it was going to be for them.

10. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I expect they'll figure it out without a problem. We had it easy, put the brooder in the coop, then removed it and put in the perch when they were ready. They know it's home. We change the straw monthly, then they come in and rearrange it to their liking. It is, after all, their house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by