do i need to shut my hens in at night or will they stay in naturally?

r&e_ellis

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 9, 2009
i'm in portland, or. its in the 40s at night here now. anticipating moving my birds outside in a month or so. thanks!

The way I do it for any new chicks/chickens keep them in the coop and their yard for a couple days and check to see who's all roosting at night and if one is not I'll place them on the roost....I dont have any high up roosts in their yard. because on a summer night they'll want to roost outside then...even in the winter I had one wanting to roost outside..........Once they have that down I then start letting them out an hour or so before sun down and watch who's not going in to roost because of the predators they all have to go in ...and slowly I increase the time there out....but I have to watch them or elso they become dinner....hope that helps..

lock them up!! they will go in at nite naturally - then make sure they are well secured. for hard lessons learned go and check out the predator discussion.

when it gets hot out here i will leave their tightly screened windows opened.....but i keep my hens in a coop inside the hen house for extra security.

When darkness approaches they will normally enter the coup and go to their preferred roost. I make sure the door is closed and secured every night. Rather be safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom