do i need to spend $1000 on a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ucheeco, Mar 31, 2007.

1. ucheeco

ucheeco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    i really want chickens but when i looked up coops they are so much money= ( i was wondering if there is another way to keep them, or if i can make my own coop easly.

i really want chickens and i dont want my family not letting me get them because of money [​IMG]

2. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    Here is an idea;

If you only want a few chickens (like 3) you could buy a nice pre-built wooden dog house like this one in a size L that is $129...
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...=1175353267560&itemNo=1&In=Dog&N=2035803&Ne=2
    and then just build a nestbox off the side and put a snug plywood door on the front where the chickens would go in and out. It wouldn't be very easy to clean, admittedly, but it would be really simple to build and pretty cute. You'd end up spending in the neighborhood of $160 total, I would think.

Good luck

-MTchick

3. ucheeco

Mar 31, 2007
    thanks, its a good idea. when i end up finally getting them i think ill try it

thanks again.

4. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
  5. ucheeco

Mar 31, 2007
    cool. those are good looking coops too. i really like the monica's coop it looks like it gets right to the point thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by