1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do i need to supply grit in the winter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tigerkitten45, Dec 28, 2010.

1. tigerkitten45

tigerkitten45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    NH
    Hi, just wondering if i need to put a grit feeder in my coop for winter feeding? My flock gets starter/grower crumbles, cracked corn and occasionally i feed them scrambled cooked eggs with their shells included. Is grit necessary or does the grit they got from free-ranging during the good weather enough, does it stay in their gullets or do they need to continually eat it?

2. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Chicken do need a year round supply of some kind of grit to process seeds or any course food they are eating. Make a grit feeder out of a length of up upright PVC pipe. It's compact and out the way. Search BYC for plans.
    Joe

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    You can offer it in a seperate feeder, or just continue putting it in their feeder like I do. But yes, they need it year round. They still digest the same food in the winter as they do the rest of the year, and grit moves through their system just like the rest of their feed. [​IMG]

4. tigerkitten45

tigerkitten45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    NH
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses!! This is my first winter with my flock so i am very happy to have BYC and it's readers to watch my back! So far so good, am amazed at the egg production i am still getting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by