Mcmchick

Chirping
May 30, 2021
Hi !
My chickens free range my yard, I don't go thru much feed. I only had 3 this summer, down to 2 this winter. I've noticed that since the snow has been here (their first winter) my chickens eggs have changed, one is shell less and the other her yolks are light yellow when they used to be a great orange. They currently eat Nutrena Country Feeds Layer 16% Feed Pellet. Since they are relying on feed now, could that be the problem? Should I switch food?

The yolk color of free range birds changes with diet. Mine are eating more acorns, so the yolks (particularly for my ducks) are taking on a more greenish cast.) If you get repeat shell less eggs,it may be more concerning, but one in isolation is no cause for panic.

I'm not a fan of layer feed, but there is nothing wrong with Nutrena. There is better, but there is far far worse. Why Layer feed? Deliberate choice, or something you did because the bag said "layer".

@Obsessed With Silkies and @U_Stormcrow have it right, your chickens just aren't finding much in the way of bugs and plants during the winter. You can switch to a higher protein food, add additional calcium, and supplement with small amounts of high-protein snacks like mealworms or black soldierfly larvae. Personally, I prefer a feed that has 18% protein.

The yolk color of free range birds changes with diet. Mine are eating more acorns, so the yolks (particularly for my ducks) are taking on a more greenish cast.) If you get repeat shell less eggs,it may be more concerning, but one in isolation is no cause for panic.

I'm not a fan of layer feed, but there is nothing wrong with Nutrena. There is better, but there is far far worse. Why Layer feed? Deliberate choice, or something you did because the bag said "layer".
It's repeat shell less, shes acting fine and well, nothing wrong with vent area. I was (still am) concerned of peritonitis, so I've been researching that as well.

I got my girls at my local agway, I started with the Nutrena chick feed. They recommended I switch to layer, so I just grabbed the same brand. What would you recommend over layer feed?

Did you check the date on the feed bag? Are you buying in bulk? It may be that your feed is getting old and has lost some of it's nutritional value.
I've stopped buying from Tractor Supply. I've seen too many bags of old feed there.
I personally, prefer to use a grower feed for a little more protein. I put out calcium and grit in separate containers.

Also, what breed hens do you have?
I've read that production breeds tend to lay well for the first 18 months to 2 years. They may slow down drastically after that or begin showing reproductive issues.

Did you check the date on the feed bag? Are you buying in bulk? It may be that your feed is getting old and has lost some of it's nutritional value.
I've stopped buying from Tractor Supply. I've seen too many bags of old feed there.
I personally, prefer to use a grower feed for a little more protein. I put out calcium and grit in separate containers.

Also, what breed hens do you have?
I've read that production breeds tend to lay well for the first 18 months to 2 years. They may slow down drastically after that or begin showing reproductive issues.
They aren't even a year old yet. Got them back in April. I have an buff orpington and a golden laced wyandotte.

an "all flock" or "flock raiser" with oyster shell free choice in a seperate dish is a superior diet for them. Admittedly small improvements, but over a host of metrics, which add up to less stressed, more productive, longer-lived birds (on average). I would not, contra recommend above, try and feed more calcium than what is present in Nutrena Layer - I'd feed them less, and allow them to suppliment with oyster shell (and empty egg shells) to their content unless directed otherwise by one of the posters I named below.

Recommend pictures of the repeat shell less bird and a separate thread in the disease/injury section. I'm becoming respected for my feed knowledge around here, but on injury and disease, I look to others who are very active in that section. Eggcessive, Azygous, Overo Mare as some of the most active and extremely respected. You will also want to note the bird's breed and age when you do - its important (in this case, their youth reduces the chances of some potential causes) but not definitive.

Back
Top Bottom