Do I need to teach manners?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RJ3, May 12, 2011.

1. RJ3

RJ3 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Northern wi
    I feel like this is a very silly question but for my kids sake ill ask. Do I need to, or is there even a way, to teach my chicks to eat nicely out of my hand? They seem kinda aggressive when I offer feed in my palm. I've experimented with different treats and its always the same. One brave little guy does a taste test then suddenly its a mob effect, everybody runs to my hand and they are pushing and shoving as if they haven't been fed in a week! It doesn't hurt, but it is kinda like they are trying to run away with my finger! [​IMG] this is scaring my toddlers a little bit. The last thing I want is for my kids to be afraid of chickens, like I was [​IMG]! Is this normal chick behavior? Am I doing something wrong when hand feeding them? Maybe they just get over excited and carried away? They have constant access to feed and water

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    This is normal chick behavior. They can be like little piranhas when they are "competing" for food. The bites will get harder as they get bigger. There is no way to correct the behavior but you may be able to allow your children to feed a calmer chick away from the rest of the group. Fortunately mine learned the difference between food and fingers when the grew up. [​IMG]

Edited because I forgot to say: [​IMG] There is not such thing as a stupid question. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. RJ3

RJ3 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Northern wi
    [​IMG] lol, Thank you! Good to know. Also, your saying "roosters...run!" Perfectly describes my only memories (other than nightmares) of chickens I was around as a kid. [​IMG]

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I actually love my roos....which is a good thing because every chick I raise turns out to be one. [​IMG] I will never have eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by